Fun chocolate FAQ
It makes you feel good:
- Phenethylamine is the same substance that can be found in the brain when you are in love.
- Anandamine creates a mild form of euphoria
- Methylxanthines which are stimulants; theobromine and theophylline don’t give you the coffee jolt but work slowly to up your energy level.
These substances are good for you:
- Polyphenols are the same antioxidants that you’ve been getting from your red wine and green tea.
- Magnesium promotes muscle relaxation and is critical for energy production and proper nerve function.
- Copper prevents anemia and ensures that iron makes effective hemoglobin.
- Flavanols have antioxidant qualities and other influences on vascular health
- The Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity (ORAC) test examines the antioxidant levels in food. The higher the ORAC score, the higher the level of antioxidants. Note where cacao nibs fall on the chart: